Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Shift: One Nurse, Twelve Hours, Four Patients' Lives

I absolutely loved this book. Theresa Brown is a gifted writer. Not only is she a nurse, but she has a PhD in English and is a former university English professor. By the time I finished the book, I felt I not only knew her intimately, but also her patients.I am a retired nurse and a former nursing professor, so when I read the details of her 12 hour shift, I could relate to all that she did. However, I don't think you would need a medical background to feel like you were right there with her with every decision she made and every task she performed. The book is entertaining in that it gives a real feel for what decisions nurses must make on a typical day in the hospital.It not only covers routine tasks she performed, but the emotional toll that nursing requires and the responsibility nurses have for being an advocate for a patient. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment