Friday, May 15, 2015

Basic Black: 26 Edgy Essentials for the Modern Wardrobe

 I'm very impressed with it.  There are at least four patterns that I'd like to sew.  I have been sewing a long time and it's refreshing to see some patterns with interesting details, e.g., the tucks in the tiered dress, embroidered running stitches, shirred sleeves, etc.  A lot of the patterns have a tailored and refined look that I like. The fabrics used are also interesting, dobby, jacquard, corduroy. The patterns I've  seen in other Japanese sewing books have seemed more basic and frankly similar to what the Big 4 and some indie patterns offer, i.e., lots of girlish tops and dresses with gathers and ruffles. There are so many books out there for beginning sewers and this isn't one of them (thankfully for us more experienced sewers who would like to sew something more challenging).   The pattern instructions look detailed enough for me. I find schematics easier to use than written instructions.  This is my first Japanese sewing book and I can't wait to dive in!

No comments:

Post a Comment