Wednesday, December 3, 2014

In Her Kitchen: Stories and Recipes from Grandmas Around the World

The stories about the women featured in the book were nice and it was interesting to see what people around the world eat. However, what elevated the book from interesting to amazing is the photographs! I loved, loved, loved examining the pictures of all the women in their kitchens or dining rooms. They were featured with materials they use in preparing their recipes and I found it fascinating to see the different labels on food products. I was equally fascinated to see a bottle of 409 cleaner in the background of one of the pictures.

It was nice to study the pictures of the women and imagine the stories that they might have to tell. Some of the women were in their 80's, so it was mind-boggling to consider the changes they have seen in the world in their lifetime.

The greatest thing about this book is that it is so much more than a simple cookbook. For me, the recipes were a miniscule part of the charm of this book. I find myself desperately hoping that Galimberti will do a follow-up book in the same format. I would love to read another book similar to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment