Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Simple Art of Salt Block Cooking: Grill, Cure, Bake and Serve with Himalayan Salt Blocks

I started reading "The Simple Art of Salt Block Cooking" because it interested me. I'm always interested in different styles of cooking and what they bring to the table, so to speak. My first introduction to salt block cooking was in other cookbook about grilling. I was a little taken aback though. Cooking with salt I get but on a salt block? Would that over-season? After reading, I learned it does not, if you're doing right. Salt block cooking does take some effort. At least in the preparation and that's where it kinda loses me. When cooking with a salt block, temperature is key and good meal hinges on the time spent in getting the block up to proper temp.

Don't me wrong, everything made with it looks insanely delicious. One can even chill salt blocks and use them for food display. Just about any food imaginable can be heightened by using a salt block. There are desserts featured like salted pecan turtles and cherry marshmallow chocolate “kisses". I just don't like the idea I could possibly scrap a meal because it was over salted or that I spent good time in preparation and it might be under seasoned
. Then again, I'm not that great of a cook and someone else could take these recipes and excel. I will say Jessica Harlan and Kelley Sparwasser put together a good cookbook with great recipes and beautiful pictures. If you're a cook who is not afraid to explore with culinary techniques, salt block cooking is a good road to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment